Friday, September 2, 2011

Homeschool Journal 9/2/11

The Homeschool Mother's Journal 
In my life this week…
fatigue, fatigue, fatigue. Co-op week 2 went better. I am adding the "homework" they have for co-op into their boxes so it doesn't seem like too much additional work.
In our homeschool this week…
Again, work isn't taking very long but both boys are doing 8 boxes daily so I really think they are covering enough material.
Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…
I have been beginning each day with a discussion to review what we learned about in history the day before. Seems like a good review for all of us. Also, 2-3 x per week they write in a learning log. I try to pick a topic related to history or some writing prompts I purchased that go along with US History. Sometimes they have to do a drawing; free-handing a map of the area we are talking about is a good spatial exercise (they did one of the Great Lakes and had to label them, etc.)
I am inspired by…
The boys and I were watching a 9/11 special on Nat Geo last night. I am inspired by the survivors, those on flight 93 that sacrificed their lives for us, and all the phone calls to spouses. I still can barely wrap my brain around all the events of that day, 10 years later.
My favorite thing this week was…

The boys are now doing reading/ writing workshop as a box and are in charge of what 2 days they do writing and which 2 they do reading. I made a chart for them to fill in. They are doing well with the autonomy thus far.
Things I’m working on…
Attempting to keep to a daily schedule. I am becoming a little more comfortable embracing the fact that flexibility is a good thing and that it's one of the perks of homeschooling and not a personal failure.
I’m reading…
2 Kindle books I got for free:
Stress Proof Your Life (52 Brilliant Ideas) by Elisabeth Wilson
The Promise: God Works All Things Together for Your Good by Robert J. Morgan

A photo, video, link, or quote to share...

This is what shopping at Walmart is like with my youngest. Before you know it, he is sporting shades and a fedora. He begged me to buy this fedora; I told him 9-yr-olds have no place to wear a fedora. He then suggested he could wear it to funerals. I am really hoping we don't have another of those in the near future!!


No comments:

Post a Comment