Thursday, August 1, 2013

Planning and Workboxes for the 2013/14 School Year

I did a lot of planning towards the end of last school year so that I wouldn't have to spend my summer doing it. The hardest part was choosing the novels for my rising 6th grader to read (since I decided not to use a pre-planned curriculum with him). I had to try to schedule each novel I selected at least in the general vicinity of when he was reading about the events. (I will go through his complete curriculum later, but his history spine is Mystery of History V. II, or MOH).  This made my brain hurt. I just kept a running chart on my computer, and as the novels came in that I'd selected (often using input from the suggestions in the back of MOH), I'd try to fill them in. Since I already had planned his daily readings from MOH, I knew which days he would be studying what. I then filled in the gaps with additional readings. Most are novels, but some are short biographies or non-fiction books, so there is some variety. Here is  a page from that completed chart (day #, book, page #s or chapter(s) to read):

Here is one page from the long chart where I planned out his history assignments. I planned for 150 days of lessons. We go to a co-op once a week for most of the year, so we have a lot of 4-day weeks as a result, so I don't plan a full 180 days. (Our state doesn't require that anyway, but I do like for them to do schooling/ co-op for at least 180 days, though we were well over this year. Shhh.... don't tell them). My 6th grader loved Story of the World last year, so I am using a few chapters from Volume 1 and then many from Volume 2 to supplement his MOH. This was a chore to figure out, but I did get help from this wonderful chart (I love the Internet!):  http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/sotw2moh2.htm

I also went through and planned out 150 days of his science, making sure (as in the other charts) to have one column that lists what I need to put in his box for him to complete each day's assignment. I have everything in binders and made a "Planning Box" so that all the resources I need to plan/ fill boxes are in one place (see photo on right below). 



Another new thing I did this year: had the spines cut off the big history books (like MOH) and had them 3-hole punched. I am removing each week's reading from my big binder (see them in my box), and placing it in a small 1/2 inch binder, so I don't have to fit huge books in their box. I think it's less intimidating for the boys as well. And, I will go ahead and admit the accountability will be good for me as well. If I don't go through their boxes and give them the new week's reading, they won't be able to do it. I need incentive to do my job sometimes.

Yet another new thing: I am using Scholaric (http://scholaric.com/ )! It is an inexpensive online program to plan weekly assignments for each subject AND keep track of grades. I was very nervous because I LOVE paper planners, but it is very intuitive and I had no problem entering in our first week's assignments. (I mainly just had to transfer info from my charts to the program.) Here is what one page of the Scholaric plan looks like printed out (the week continues on another page):


I am printing out a copy for my plan book, and then printing another copy and cutting it into strips to give to the boys in their boxes. Each strip has one subject on it (cut horizontally) with a week's assignments. I have always hand-written assignment cards (see previous post on planning), so this is new. I had to figure out how to give the boys the strips without them getting lost or damaged, which brings me to the description of the workboxes! I will start with my oldest, who will be entering 10th grade. I am using a folder/ clip board system with him. Here is the inside of one of his folders (one per subject):


On the right, I've stapled a section of a clear page protector to serve as a pocket for the assignment strip I talked about. Each week, I can just slide the old one out and slide the new one in. Any paper or handouts he needs will also be in that pocket. Once something is completed and ready for me to grade, he moves it to the left side. Below left is a better picture of the assignment strip and the pocket, and below right are the boxes he will have in his room with supplemental books only; all assignments and directions will be in the folders.


This is how his folder/ clip board system will look:


  He will have to bring it downstairs each day so I can do a quick check to make sure the work is completed. 

He has a clipboard for subjects that entail writing because I've noticed that even though he has a desk in his room, he often works sitting up in his bed. I've used lap desks before, but think the clip boards might be better. We will see! So, he has a folder for each subject, and some subjects also come with a clipboard. 


Now for the 6th grader. We are still using the IKEA Trofast system, as we did last year. I replaced velcro labels (which always fell off ) with labels printed on a label maker. (Hard to see, but they are at the bottom right side of each box).


Here is the inside of one of his boxes. I used command strips to adhere a clear clip (they used to carry them at IKEA) to hold the strip on the right-side of each box. He can probably read it without even taking it out, but if he does take it out, I will need to reinforce that he needs to be it back! Let's hope he complies. 

I am glad I didn't wait until this weekend to get ready. Hope you enjoyed this peek into my planning system and our workboxes. 








2 comments:

  1. Super nice! I really wish that I was that organized n detailed oriented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks~ it gives me a false sense of security : ).

      Delete